Using 21st Century Education Technologies in FACS

Everyday teachers are encouraged to use 21st century technology in the classroom. Although it is sometimes challenging to master new applications as they are continuously introduced by various software companies, it is vital to FACS students’ success in and out of the classroom. Technology is her to stay for all. With continuous professional development learning how to deliver lessons, complete class assignments, and applying new technology to classroom processes, it is beneficial to the FACS student in developing their 21st century skills and using a teaching medium that this generation has become accustomed to.

Recently, I started using a device called Beyond Questions. This computer application allows students to answer questions formed by the instructor to evaluate what content that the students are retaining. Students view multiple choice or true false questions projected on large screen. Each student assigned a remote control that allows them to answer the questions as they appear on the screen. After questions are answered, he computer calculate immediate feedback to the student on how well they completed the questions. The program even breaks down student responses for each question and all parties are able to see the responses to each question. My students and I find this program to be very easy to manipulate, fun, and effective when indicating the students’ strength and weaknesses for each subject. My students results on required end of course testing always improved since using this software.

As a student in FNES 636, we are required to create a blog responding to prompts related to career paths and personal experiences. To continue to improve students’ writing skills, I believe that I will incorporate this skill into my students’ activities. I will provide various topics that the students can create a blog and elaborate on the various topics of my choosing. Our class will be connected to each other and be able to view each other’s responses. I also plan to have each student select partners to comment on each other’s blog. I think that by creating my own blog, I see how simple it is, and it is a great way to express yourself, and also a great way to save on turning in papers, and losing them. Once a student submits their blog, the time and date is included in the message, and I am able to determine if the assignment was submitted on time.

Social networking sites for teachers are growing to be very popular with teachers. I do not participate in Facebook or any FACS social networking sites as of yet. I do see great value in these ways to communicate with each other. You could become part of a professional learning community that could be vital to you staying current in new developments in FACS and also sharing best teaching practices. In NC I participated in a Yahoo email group that included all FACS teachers in the state. The FACS coordinators were able to disperse important information very effectively. Everyone was always in the know at once.

Utilizing 21st century technology for FACS students is vital. We want our students to be computer literate and able to apply technology that we teach into their everyday lives and or careers. Teachers have to understand that the world is ever changing and technology does the same. We can’t be afraid to learn new things that will assist our students while at the same time make our programs relevant, and more desirable.